The stories explore issues like domestic abuse, corruption, police violence and the abuse of inmates. Each story is based around a person who has come to a community advice office seeking help. We embed and promote the stories through on-line channels and find ways to republish the stories on print and radio so that the story has the widest possible reach. Primarily we want to create a network between community radio stations and their nearby advice offices. Also, we want to provide a bridge between community media and mainstream digital outlets. Ultimately we want the stations and their listeners within this network to have access to these stories, but also those in urban centres like Johannesburg and Cape Town. The stories are often produced in local, African languages and without CJN these stories would otherwise be left unreported.
Zanokuhle Advice Office & Resources Centre, KZN
Senzokuhle Advice Centre, MP
Human Rights Legal Network, Ventersdorp
Kwadlangezwa Community Advice Office Centre, KZN
Letlhabile Advice Centre, NW
Kgatelopele Social Development Forum, NC
Messina Legal Advice Office, LP
Messina Legal Advice Office, LP
Interchange Local Development Agency
We Work In These Areas Around South Africa
This is a community 50km outside of Johannesburg. They deal with evictions and human rights. Bricks Mokolo runs the office and the radio station partner is Thetha FM.
A farming community in The Free State. Dladla Mokeki runs the office. The partner radio station is Lejweleputswa District Community Radio Station (The Rock).
This office is right on the border with Zimbabwe and deals with issues of foreign nationals and family matters. The Head paralegal is Jacob Matakanye. The radio partner is Musina FM.
Based in Kwa-Zulu Natal. The radio partner is Inanda FM.
Based in the Eastern Cape. The radio partner is Unitra Community Radio.
This office is on the border with Lesotho. Tshabalala Nomaswazi runs the office. The radio partner is Setsotho FM.
Albert Makwela runs this office in Tzaneen in Limpopo. The radio partner is Greater Tzaneen FM.
1. Orange Farm Human Rights Advice Office : The office is based in Orange-Farm in Gauteng and deals with evictions and human rights issues. Bricks Mokolo runs the office and our partner radio station is Thetha FM.
2. Messina Legal Advice Office : This office is right on the border of Zimbabwe and deals with issues of foreign nationals and family matters. The Head paralegal is Jacob Matakanye. The radio partner is Musina FM.
3. Amaoti Community Resource Centre : Based in Inanda, Kwa-Zulu Natal. Our Paralegal is Sabelo Mfeka and is paired with Inanda FM.
4. Kwadlangezwa Advice Office and Resource Centre : Based in Port Dunford in KwaZulu-Natal, this office is managed by Lindokuhle Macuacua. Our partner station is ICORA FM.
5. Ficksburg Advice Centre : This office is on the border with Lesotho. Nomaswazi Tshabalala runs the office. The radio partner is Setsoto FM.
6. Ventersdorp Human Rights Legal Network : This office in the North West province is embedded in South Africa’s rural farming communities. The Director is Daniel Dibe and the radio partner is Star FM.
7. Kgatelopele Social Development Forum : located in the town of Danielskuil in the Northern Cape, this office deals with issues of LGTBIQ+, Estates transfers, Divorce and Maintenance cases. Sophia Booysen is our paralegal in the area and works with Kurara FM.
8. Zanokuhle Advice Office & Resources Centre : This office is located in Bergville in KwaZulu-Natal and is managed by Msizi Miya. Our partner radio station is Nqubeko FM in Ladysmith.
9. Dobsonville Human Rights Centre : This office is based in Dobsonville in Gauteng and is managed by Martha Chauke. The community radio partner is Sloot FM in Diepsloot.
10. Interchurch Local Development Agency : This ofice is based in Uitenhage in Port-Elizabeth and managed by Nobuzwe Mofokeng. Our partner radio station is Nkqubela FM (KQ FM).
11. Senzokuhle Advice Centre : This office is based in Hendrina in Mpumalanga and is managed by Lindiwe Martins. Our partner radio station is The Voice of the community (VOC FM) in Ermelo.
Ukuthula Advice Office Our Kwaggafontein based office tackles topics on domestic violence in Mpumalanga. The Head Paralegal is Nthofela Makhele. The radio station is KCRS.
Mafefe Advice Office : Lebowakgomo is a rural town with issues of labour and poverty in Limpopo. Each story was produced by community paralegals and first appeared on radio station Greater Lebowakgomo Community Radio.
Relemogile Advice Office : Albert Makwela runs this office in Tzaneen in Limpopo. The radio partner is Greater Tzaneen FM.
Heinemann Victim Empowerment Forum :A farming community in The Free State. Dladla Mokeki runs the office.
Jersey Farm Advice and Information Centre : Based in Umtata in the Eastern Cape. The radio partner is Unitra Community Radio.
Kibera Community Justice Centre : based in Kenya Nairobi – our paralegal coordinator is Ruth Nzembi.