Select Page

According to the Eyewitness News, the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) year revealed that more than 18,000 complaints of unauthorised deductions have been reported in the past year. This was after SASSA and Social Development Department officials had briefed the Standing Committee on Social Development about illegal and fraudulent deductions.

SASSA is a national agency of the South African Government which came about in April 2005. SASSA was created to administer the application, approval and payment of social grants in South Africa.

Except for the Foster Child Grant and the Grant in Aid, social grants in South Africa are currently “means tested”. If a person is doing some work or has another source of income but still really needs social assistance they can still apply for a grant but declare all their income and assets to SASSA.

SASSA administers social grants and is mandated by the South African Social Security Agency Act of 2004 to “ensure the provision of comprehensive social security services against vulnerability and poverty within the constitutional legislative framework”

What are other social grants?

• Social Relief of Distress
• Grants-in-aid
• Child Support Grant
• Foster Care Grant
• Care Dependency Grant
• War Veteran’s Grant
• Disability Grant
• Grants for Older Persons

How does one qualify for the grants?

The applicant must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee, and must live in South Africa. However, the person does not quality if they are already being cared for in a state institution.

People can apply at their nearest SASSA office. Old-aged or sick may send someone to apply on their behalf, or request a home visit. When applying they submit an identity document and fill-in the application form in the presence of a SASSA officer, who will assist during the application.

The results or feedback of the social grant application takes about 21 days. People are informed in writing and they may request that SASSA reconsiders its decision based on the results or feedback.

Who to contact regarding a social grant?

South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)
Listen to Hillbrow Radio on