Mantua Ntelele the paralegal at the Hennenman Victim Empowerment Forum received another case about a man, Sello Sejentu who got injured at work.
Sello has been working from 6am to 6pm, Monday to Monday and earns R3 000. He’s been dealing with operating and changing the machines. The machine chopped his hand’s nails. He was never oriented on how to operate the machine. Apart from having to claim when injured at work, safety in the workplace is important because if the safety committee is active and takes accountability, there will be less injuries. Sello’s recorded story attached.
A serious workplace injury or death changes lives forever – for families, friends, communities, and coworkers too. Human loss and suffering is immeasurable. Occupational injuries and illnesses can provoke major crises for the families in which they occur.
Workforce Compliance Safety reasons safety is important at the workplace.
1. Safety Programs Create Productive Work Environments
Properly managed safety programs show commitment to safety by the management in turn creating a great safety culture where everyone wants’ to be safe.
2. Absenteeism Drops When Effective Safety Programs Are Introduced
Workers want to work in a safe environment; absenteeism drops when effective safety programs are introduced.
3. Work Premises Are Kept To Higher Standards
Work premises are kept to higher standards for safety, cleanliness, and housekeeping
4. A Safe Work Environment Produces Happier Employees
A safe work environment produces happier employees; everyone wants to go home safe each day.
5. Employee Insurance Claims Decrease In Safe Work Environments
Worker Compensation insurance claims decrease, in turn lowering WCB Rates. This is a benefit to any company that has to pre-qualify to work; a lower rate gives you a better grade with your clients.
6. A Company’s Most Valuable Asset Is Protected — The People
7. Safety Programs Enable A Company To Win And Retain Business Customers
8. Safety Programs Create An Environment Where Safety Improvements Are Considered, Encouraged And Implemented
In turn, workers feel like they are part of the safety solution.
9. Safe Work Environments Enhance The Brand Value And Goodwill For A Company
Enables a company to win and retain business customers. Clients want to work with companies that are safe (less downtime due to incidents).
10. Safety Reduces Business Costs And Disruption
Reducing business costs creates productive work environments.