The Citizen Justice Network developed a free Massive Open Online Course
Do you want to grow your skill base in Community Journalism and promote your social cause? The Citizen Justice Network at Wits University developed a free Massive Open Online Course called “Activism and Citizen Journalism through Media. The course is designed to equip participants to produce a journalistic story using mobile media tools, to promote social justice.
The course has no entry requirements and is aimed at empowering activists to use social and traditional media to promote a social cause.
The course was developed in collaboration with the Centre for Learning, Teaching, and Development (CLTD), under the WitsX partnership.
The course is designed to equip participants to produce a journalistic story using mobile media tools, to promote social justice.
Participants will learn to: to identify newsworthy issues; define the limits and possibilities of different mobile platforms and tools, and identify an appropriate strategy and platform/tool to reach a defined target audience. The course also promotes ethical and safe media practices.
The course draws on the innovative work of the Citizen Justice Network.
- Paul McNally (Director at The Citizen Justice Network Wits University)
- Akona Anati Zibonti (Editorial Assistant Mentee, CJN)
- Boikaego Seadira (Lecturer, Wits Journalism)
- Sumeya Gasa (Investigative journalist and multimedia journalist at Media24)
- Susan Stos (Writer and Lecturer APPLY Ethics)
- Itumeleng Bahetane (Station manager at Voice of Wits FM)
- Siyabonga Africa (Program Officer at South Africa Media Innovation Program).