Job Title Project Coordinator, Citizen Justice Network
Location: Wits University, Braamfontein, South Africa
CJN explores new notions of journalism and social responsibility by training community paralegals to be radio journalists in eight areas around the country. The team guides the paralegals to put quality social justice content on their local stations in African languages.
We are based in the journalism department at Wits University.
The project became a reality when the idea won gold at The Global Innovation Competition in Jakarta in 2015 and since then has built hours of exciting on-the-ground community radio programming and developed ways to run media and journalism workshops for community paralegals.
The project has aspirations to deepen its footprint in the paralegal and community radio sector in South Africa and is busy expanding to Kenya.
CJN won first place at the Innovating Justice Forum in The Hague in November last year. It was celebrated for its innovative way of using media to spread quality legal information to the people who need it most.
CJN is looking for an outspoken team leader with a background in fundraising and an interest in community media and social justice issues.
You will lead the active and vibrant CJN team. The team will include you, an Executive Producer and a Radio Mentor. You will also become part of the bustling Wits Journalism department in the centre of Braamfontein, Johannesburg. The department is home to numerous exciting journalism projects and innovations. You will report to the Head of Department, Franz Kruger.
• Undergraduate degree
• Understanding of the community media space
• Partnership and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
• Leadership experience in NGO sector
• Fluency in English and at least one other African language
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
• Ability to make strategic decisions and the ambition to want to grow an exciting project to become a major player in the African community media space
• Ability to manage an independent-minded team through consensus and cooperation
• Excellence in organizational management and managing a budget
This person is responsible for:
• Strategic direction, planning, decision-making and implementation
• Donor relations and fundraising
• Advocacy and stakeholder relations
• Project planning, budgeting, management and monitoring
• Overseeing editorial production
For further details of the project visit www.citizenjusticenetwork.org/
Enquiries to Paul McNally: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 16th March 2018